The mission of UNIPRO is to potentiate, develop and apply research to understand, prevent, diagnose, and treat diseases involving the orofacial region.
This research Unit has also as a mission to reinforce the involvement in advanced training; to promote dissemination and valorization of research outputs through knowledge transfer to users and to society; and to foster the internationalization of its research.
Major aims of the UNIPRO
The mission of this research unit is to develop and apply research to understand, prevent, diagnose, and treat diseases affecting the orofacial region.
The specific objectives are:
1. To understand the mechanism of oral tumour development and progression;
2. To characterize the Oral Cancer and OPMD epidemiology including the incidence and survivals rates and the associated risk factors of these diseases;
3. To discover new targets, biomarkers, and develop new strategies on oral cancers;
4. To promote public awareness and knowledge for oral cancers;
5. To characterize and understand the pathogenesis of the periodontal disease;
6. To characterize the relationship between temporomandibular disorders with headaches;
7. To study congenitally missing teeth;
8. To improve attachments used with implant supported dentures;
9. To evaluation of resistance, durability, reliability and retention capacity of implant and prosthetic compounds;
10. To promote public oral health knowledge and good practices.